Headed to the Pacific Northwest with kiddos for a family vacation? Traveling with children can be challenging, especially if you have a long plane ride and a time change to deal with. Luckily, there are many strategies you can employ to help your trip run smoothly.
Explore these tips for easier plane traveling with kids and see what suggestions members of our staff recommend:
- Buy activity books or sticker books to help keep toddlers occupied.
- Download the PBS app on your phone or tablet and don’t forget headphones!
- Pack your child’s favorite 2 or 3 books and toys and surprise them with a new book or toy you give them on the plane.
- Ensure you have plenty of snacks!
- Try to schedule your flight around your child’s naptime.
If you are flying to a new time zone, adjusting your child’s schedule can be tricky. The good news is jet lag is easier when headed our way (West) than East! Try to stick to your normal routine – if they go to bed at 8pm regular time, have them go to bed at 8pm in the new time zone. Ensure they are exposed to plenty of sunlight and activity during the day and try to keep their sleeping space dark at night to help them from waking in the early morning hours. Know that the first few days may be challenging, try to stay flexible and remember children adapt quickly and should adjust to the new schedule in no time.
Once you arrive in Seattle, there are many kid-friendly activities you and your group can enjoy! From free activities to the popular tourist attractions, Seattle has something for every age. You can also find amazing kid friendly restaurants all over the city that are sure to satisfy everyone’s cravings!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family to Seattle!